Cleanliness is one of those things that goes unnoticed until it’s too late. It’s not likely you’ll ever have a customer think to themselves, “This store is so clean!” But you can bet your bottom dollar that if you and your staff don’t pay attention to cleanliness, you’ll have more than a few customers who notice, leave, and never come back. Not only does a clean store look welcoming to customers, it also creates a safe environment where customers feel confident in buying food and drinks.
Interior Store Care Training Topics
It’s up to you to make sure your staff members are trained in keeping your store in tip-top shape. Your store care training program should include, at minimum, steps to take to keep the following areas of your store clean at all times.
- Entrance. A clean and clear entrance into your establishment will help to create a positive impression with your customers. Keeping floor mats clear of debris will also provide a safe entrance to the store.
- Restrooms. A recent survey revealed that 95 percent of people have a negative perception of a retail store if they encounter a dirty restroom. On the flip side, a clean restroom can leave a lasting impression and encourage repeat business.
- Cooler. Do not underestimate the power of a clean, shiny, brightly lit cooler. Customers are more likely to select beverages and food from a cooler that is sanitary and spotless. Training your employees on cleaning the cooler will help ensure they stay vigilant in keeping food and beverage in perfect shape for customers.
- Shelves. Customers aren’t likely to buy an item off a shelf that is dirty or grimy. Employees will be more successful at keeping the store clean when they have a plan to follow. Keep up your store’s standards for cleanliness with training specifically about cleaning the shelves.
- Floors. Regular cleaning is essential to providing customers a pleasant shopping experience. Sweeping and mopping are critical to keeping your store safe and clean, but employees often don’t know the most effective and efficient way complete these tasks.
- Beverage fountain and food areas. Self-service soda and food machines can be a breeding ground for unacceptable levels of harmful bacteria. Your busy self-service beverage and food areas requires vigilant cleaning and sanitizing.
Your customers have high expectations for cleanliness in your store, and you must have that same level of expectation for your staff.